Wednesday, June 20, 2007

 

Day One - Why Are They Called the Kent Downs?

And early start today. Breakfast at 5.30, on the road at 7am. The ride out of London was stop start with endless traffic lights and roundabouts to negotiate. However, once out of the city and into the greener countryside things got more interesting. But whoever named the area the Kent Downs was ever so slightly misleading us. There are pleny of 'ups' but precious few 'downs'. Some of the hills were killers. Hollingbourne Hill, just befor lunch was particulalry steep and long and it was made worse by the fact it was twisty. So just when you thought the hill must end, you turned a corner and there was another, even steeper stretch of road. I tried hard not to get off and walk, but after about 20 minutes of climbing I had to stop to wipe the sweat out of my eyes. Problem was I then couldn't get enoug speed up the steep hill on the restart to engage my shoe cleats so I couldn't pedal. So I walked.. My sense of failure was made worse because when I turned the next corner, just 20 yards away, the hill ended!


I buddied up with my room mate from the previous night and we kept eachother going, taking it in turns to set a reasonable pace. At the 47 mile mark we were 15th to reach the lunch rendevouz. Not bad 15th out of 86 riders... We'd set an average pace of a shade short of 15mph.
The session after lunch was tough. It was hot and there was a strong head wind. The hills came thick and fast and around the 60 mile mark it became really hard. Keeping motivated was a challenge as you greeted each new hill with a long depressed sigh. I slunk into my own little world, focussing my vision on my front wheel, blanking out the distant horizon. I thought of anything that would take my mind off the strain on my legs. As my calves ached, and my thighs felt fit to explode I imagined my loved ones periodically standing by the side of the road cheering me on. Abi, my 7 year old, was standing on the pavement every 50 metres jumping up and down and waving manically, yelling "go on dad, you can do it!"


In the end I pulled through and as we sailed down one of the few descents passed a sign proclaiming "Welcome to Dover" my spirits rose and I cruised into the ferry port proud of my exhersions...


Today's ride was 89 miles, which I covered in 6.5 hours if you discount the break for lunch. Not bad, I'm pleased. I'm almost a 1/3rd of the way there and looking forward to tomorrow, the first French leg...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?