Monday, February 26, 2007

 

Three Hundred Miles Is A Long Way

I've just achieved another milestone in my training schedule. A lull in the wet, cold, windy British weather allowed me to go out for a quick ride at lunchtime. Work is especially busy at the moment (when isn't it?) so I could only afford 45 minutes maximum. The quiet country roads I usually train on are part of a big traffic diversion of the main Saxmundham-Leiston road, so are quite busy and have been cut up by the big lorries now using them. Instead I headed South for a change and did a 11 mile circle taking in Snape (where the famous Maltings are) and Friston (where nothing really famous is, although my Suffolk Cycle Map says they have an unusual hexagon shape church).

Nearly lost the back end in a muddy puddle. It just slid and I thought I was a gonner for a split second, but the front tyre hit some dry ashphalt just in time and there was enough grip to allow me to get steady again. When I got home I was covered head to toe in muck from spray off the wheels, but it was good to get out again.

The milestone? According to the odometer I've now passed 300 miles on the new bike. Before you think, "hey that's impressive" that's actually the same distance that I'll be riding in the space of four days when I go to Paris. So it's taken me just over five months to finish the equivalent of my challenge... Luckily there's plenty of time to keep training.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?