Monday, August 28, 2006

 

What Have I Let Myself In for?

Beginning of August 2006

Thinking back it's difficult to remember why I decided to take on this challenge. Sure, I can remember wanting to give something back to the community. Sure, I can recall being keen to help children in the third world to get an education they deserve. And sure, I can recall wanting to get fit at the same time. But, how on earth did I agree to cycle over three hundred miles when I could only manage 3, maybe 4, miles at the time?

In any case, I made the "big decision" and before I had chance to talk myself out of it, or let the idea pass through procrastination, I signed up and paid my £99 deposit. Being a Yorkshireman and therefore stereotypically frugal with my cash, there was no way I'd forfeit nearly a hundred quid by dropping out. Hereby, if helping those kids in Africa who have to walk 24kms a day to get to school wasn't motivation enough, I now had financial skin in the game. The challenge was on...

First things first. I dusted down my old, cheap and cheerful mountain bike that I bought for £90 from Halfords about 13 years ago, and got out on the road. I did 5 miles first time out with a halfway stop at a country pub (non-alcoholic drink - honest) and nearly died on the way back. Even being overtaken by two ladies whilst struggling at what I thought was a decent pace up a slight incline (it felt like Mount Everest that first day) didn't put me off. I persevered on the mountain bike and purchasing my first proper cycling shirt and some isotonic energy drinks got me doing ten mile trips in no time. But I had to get serious if I was going to do this. And, in contradiction of my Yorkshire tight-wad roots, I was going gaga at the bike shops on the internet. I had to get myself a new bike. So, mouse in hand I started gathering info on what bikes were best suited for my challenge and what bargains were to be had. My timing was impeccable with a multitude of 'end-of-season' sales just about t start. My heart was ruling my head though, and I was just about to buy an Italian Bianchi at £800 but at the last minute my head took over and I bagged a bargain - a Specialized Allez Triple 06 model for £429 (see image). Brilliant. You wouldn't believe the difference this bike made to my speed and distances. In no time I'd done a twenty mile trip to the seaside and back, at 5:30 in the morning.
I bought it from JE James on the web (www.jejamescycles.co.uk). Several online shops had the same bike at the same price, but JE James had the right size bike in stock. It arrived in a big box and it didn't take me long to re-fit the handle-bars, front wheel, saddle and pedals. But, I couldn't get the gears to work smoothly, the chain wouldn't go onto the biggest sprocket and when on the smallest chainset rubbed heavily against the dereilleur. I tried to adjust it myself but it just got worse. A call to the shop was fruitless - "you shouldn't need to adjust the gears" was their very helpful advice. Luckily an enthusiast round the corner came to my aid and we spent two hours tuning the whole bike up. Moral of the story - if you buy off the web expect to do some of the setup yourself.

So, I still can't recall exactly how I ended up signing up for this challenge, but I did and I'm glad I did. Not only am I already showing signs of improved fitness - three weeks in and I've lost 1/2 stone (I'm now 12 stone bang on) - but I'm hooked on cycling and now have something other than work, my kids and football to keep me busy.

The moral of this part of my blog to Paris is this - make big decisions and take major action right away. Get some skin in the game so there's no turning back.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?